The 9th British expedition to conquer Everest took place in the mid 1953; comprising a group of climbing enthusiasts, Sherpas, filmmakers, photographers and a journalist. Sir Edmund Hillary, Col. John Hunt, Eric Shipton, George Lowe and Tenzing Sherpa were some of the team members,out of 300, to name the few.
The British expedition started their epic journey from Kathmandu to Khumbu valley via Jiri. Today, Kathmandu’s turned itself into a posh and dynamic metropolitan -connecting itself to different cities through roadways and airways, therefore, one need not walk from the city anymore. Jiri, on the other hand, is still a home to the classic Everest trail. Many trekkers prefer exploring the wilderness and serenity of the region.
Also known as “Gateway to Mt. Everest,” Jiri is located in Dolkha district of eastern Nepal. The trail leads slowly upwards to the mountains into Khumbu valley. Trek to Lukla from Jiri usually takes 7 or 8 days.
As only 5% of all trekkers who attempt the difficult trek to Everest Base Camp start at Jiri, the other 95% choose to fly into the small airstrip at Lukla.
Khumbu region may receive snowfall during post-monsoon. The higher elevations remain warm during the day and colder during nights.
~Gears & Equipment~
- Pair of hiking boots (well broken in) – One could spend over 5 to 6 hours a day on the trail, therefore, long-lasting boots are essential. The boots can range from light to medium, high or low. If one plans to trek during the months when it snows, the high boots become essential for proper hiking.
- Soft and light shoes (sneakers) – Carrying light-weight sneakers for ‘after the day hike’ serves comfort.
- Lightweight knapsack – It is useful for short trips away from one’s lodge, and will save you from carrying large backpack along. It should be large enough to fit a camera, spare clothes and a sleeping bag, if one plans to spend a night away.
- Lightweight sleeping bag – Essential during peak seasons (October-December). Lodges do offer blankets, but are scarce during the peak season, therefore carrying a sleeping bag (-10 C°) can be a great precaution.
- Fabric band-aids – Blisters are common due to rigorous walking. A good alternative to band-aids is duct tape. Works great for blisters and also proves invaluable in many other ways.
Costs and Permits
The permit cost for entering Sagarmatha National Park (UNESCO Heritage Site) is:
- SAARC Nationals – Rs. 1,500 per person (Approx. US $15)
- Non-SAARC Nationals – Rs. 3,000 per person (Approx. US $30)
- Everest Base Camp via Jiri Trek –25 Days